It’s been a great summer for vegetable growing at Mercy Hill Farm. Our customers enjoyed a mess of kale, sweet corn, tomatoes, summer squashes, green beans and more.
One of the dishes we dreamed up for dinner was “Farmer’s Market Fried Rice.”
- 2 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halfed
- 1 medium crookneck summer squash, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 10 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 3 large farm fresh eggs, scrambled and cooked
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- one finger of fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
- 4 tbsns soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsn sesame oil
- 2 tbsns canola oil (or other vegetable oil)
Saute onions, garlic in a large saucepan or wok in 2 tbsns canola oil over medium heat until tender (3 -5 minutes). Add squash, saute 5 more minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 5 more minutes, or until everything is mixed well and heated through.